How to Block Banner Ads in Yahoo Mail?
Although Yahoo! Mail is a well-known free email service, it does have some issues. One of the most common issues you might face while using Yahoo! Mail is the appearance of banner ads.
If you find that the banner ads are popping up too often, you can block them on your web browser. Let us now look in detail at two of the web browsers and how to block banner ads while using Yahoo! Mail on them.
Blocking Banner Ads in Yahoo! Mail — On Google Chrome:
Stage-1: Downloading the AdBlock extension
The AdBlock extension has been specifically developed for blocking ads on websites. To download the extension on Google Chrome, you can make use of the following steps:
- First, navigate to the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Next, click on the Chrome Menu button.
- Now, choose the More tools option and select Extensions.
- At the bottom of the webpage, you will find the Get more extensions link. Click the link.
- Search for the AdBlock extension. When you locate the extension, you have to click on the Free button provided next to it.
- Now, you have to click on the Add button.
Stage-2: Checking if AdBlock has been configured properly
The AdBlock extension should be properly configured on your computer. However, you can make sure that it has been set up correctly by carrying out the following instructions:
- Beside the Chrome Menu button, you can see the AdBlock button. Now, click on the AdBlock button.
- Next, choose Options.
- Now, you have to select the Filter Lists option in the new tab. Then, confirm that the checkbox next to the EasyList option is selected.
Stage-3: Reopening Yahoo! Mail
In case you had kept your Inbox open when you were installing AdBlock, make sure that you close and then open Google Chrome. Only then AdBlock can start functioning.
Blocking Banner Ads in Yahoo! Mail — On Mozilla Firefox:
Stage-1: Downloading the AdBlock Plus extension
The AdBlock Plus extension blocks the banner ads that pop up on your Yahoo Inbox. To make use of it on Mozilla Firefox, you have to download the extension initially. Carry out the following instructions to do the same:
- First, navigate to Mozilla Firefox on your computer.
- Next, click on the Firefox Menu button and choose the Add-ons option.
- Now, search for the AdBlock Plus extension.
- When you locate AdBlock Plus, you will see the Install button next to it. Click on that button.
Stage-2: Checking if AdBlock Plus has been configured properly
In order to ensure that AdBlock Plus has been appropriately configured, carry out these steps:
- Beside the Firefox Menu button, locate and click the ABP button.
- Next, choose the Filter Preferences option.
- Also, make sure that the EasyList option is selected.
- Deselect the Allow some non-intrusive advertising option.
Stage-3: Reopening Yahoo! Mail
If you had kept your Inbox open during the installation of AdBlock Plus, then close and re-open Mozilla Firefox. When you perform this task, AdBlock Plus will start functioning.
You can also try using a different extension called Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel, which has been specially designed for Firefox. The Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel is another efficient extension that can block the ads on your Yahoo! Mail page. The main distinguishing factor between using this extension and AdBlock is that the Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel reclaims some of the space that is usually left by the blocked ad. You can utilize the same instructions (those for installing AdBlock) for installing Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel on your computer.