How to Configure AOL Email in Outlook 2003?
You can use any of the email client applications to download your AOL Mail account emails. There are two different incoming protocols (POP or IMAP) you can prefer while configuring your AOL Mail account in an email client like Outlook.
POP – Post Office Protocol
It downloads a copy of your email message from the AOL Mail account to Outlook. After downloading, if you delete an email from the mail server, you can still view the downloaded copy in Outlook.
IMAP – Internet Message Access Protocol
However, IMAP synchronizes both the AOL Mail server and the Outlook client. Any changes in the mail server will reflect in Outlook and vice versa.
AOL Mail server settings
Before setting up the AOL Mail account, you have to know the incoming and outgoing server settings. Refer to the following section to know the AOL Mail account server details.
- Email address – Your AOL email address (email@example.com)
- Password – Your AOL Mail account’s password
Incoming Mail Server
- Server name – pop.aol.com (POP3) or imap.aol.com (IMAP)
- Port – 995 (POP3) or 993 (IMAP)
- SSL – Required
Outgoing Mail Server
- Server name – smtp.aol.com (SMTP
- Port – 465
- SSL – Required
AOL Mail Setup in Outlook 2003
The step-by-step instructions to manually configure your AOL Mail account in the Outlook 2003 client are provided on this page.
- Launch the Outlook 2003 email client.
- Click the Tools tab.
- Choose the Email Accounts option from the Tools menu.
- Select the radio button beside the ‘Add a new email account’ option.
- Click Next.
- Choose the POP3 or IMAP option.
- Select the Next option.
- On the Email Accounts page, enter the following information.
- Your name – Your full name
- Email Address – Your full email address
- Incoming Mail Server – imap.aol.com (IMAP) or pop.aol.com (POP3)
- Outgoing Mail Server – smtp.aol.com
- User Name – Your AOL Mail account’s email address
- Password – Your AOL Mail account password
- If necessary, select the Remember Password option to save the AOL Mail account password in the Outlook 2003 client.
- To configure the SMTP server, click the More Settings button.
- Select the ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication’ option.
- Choose either of the following options.
- Use same settings as my incoming mail server
- Log on using
- If you choose ‘Log on using’ option, you have to enter the user name and password manually.
- Fill both the Incoming server and Outgoing server fields with the respective port numbers correctly.
- Click OK -> Next -> Finish.
- Now, the AOL Mail account has been successfully added to the Outlook 2003 email client.
Step 5:In the Internet Email Settings window, go to Outgoing Server make the following settings.