How to Delete your Outlook or Hotmail Account?
We know that Microsoft owns both Hotmail and Outlook email services. Hence any email account activity of these services certainly involves Microsoft. Now, the Hotmail service does not exist and it has become a part of Outlook. If you are planning to delete your Outlook or Hotmail email account, then you are on the right page. There are different reasons you would want to delete an email account, few of them are shared below.
- If you are receiving constant spam emails, you can delete the email account as there are chances for the account to be hacked.
- When the account remains unused for a long time, others could misuse or get the confidential information from the email messages on your account.
When you want to delete your Hotmail or Outlook account, you need to understand that deleting the account requires you to delete your Microsoft account, which you have used for the other Windows services. If you are using the account for other services, make sure you link some other account to the services and cancel the subscription with the Microsoft account you are about to delete. Now, follow the steps given below to delete the Outlook account.
1. Create a local Microsoft account
- Open the Outlook webpage and select the gear icon at the upper right end of the page.
- Next, choose View All Outlook Settings followed by Email and then click Email Aliases.
- Select ‘Manage or choose a primary alias’ and click Add email in the new window that opens.
- Go on to create a new Outlook email account and select Add Alias.
- If you already have an account, then use that email account as the alias.
2. Remove the account as the Primary email address
- Open the Outlook settings on the web app.
- Under Manage or choose a primary alias, you can find a list of email accounts that you have added on the system.
- Select the new Outlook email account and click Make primary.
- Log out of the Outlook email account an log in with the newly created email account.
- Following that, open the Outlook web app and click the Remove menu beside the Outlook or Hotmail email account you wish to remove.