How to Disable SSL for a Mail App Email Account on an iPhone?
SSL is the abbreviated form of Secure Sockets Layer. It is an additional protection layer that allows you to exchange encrypted email messages without permitting third-parties to view them.
You might face some situations where you have to disable the SSL option on an email account configured on your iPhone. If you disable the SSL option, your emails will no longer be protected. That means, if you transmit any sensitive information using your email account (across the Internet), any third-party onlooker might be able to view that information.
Let us now look into the procedure to disable SSL for your email account configured on your iPhone’s Mail app:
- On the Home screen of your iPhone, tap on the Gear icon to open Settings.
- Scroll down the screen until you see the Mail option and tap it.
- Near the top of the screen that gets displayed next, you will find the Accounts option. Tap on it.
- On the Accounts screen that appears next, tap on your email service provider (for example, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.).
- Now, you have to tap on your email account. You can see it at the top of your screen.
- On the screen that displays next, tap the Advanced option.
- On the next screen, under Incoming Settings, you can see the Use SSL option with a button. By default, this button will be green, which indicates that it is in the ON position. So, slide the button to the OFF position. It will turn white.
- Next, tap the Back button on your iPhone screen.
- On the screen that appears next, you will find the Outgoing Mail Server heading. Under that, you can see the SMTP option. Tap on SMTP.
- Now, you have to tap on the primary server for outgoing mail. (For instance, if you are using a Gmail account, the option will appear as Gmail SMTP Server).
- On the next screen, you will find the Use SSL option. If the button next to this option is ON (green), turn it OFF (white) by sliding it.
- You can now tap the Back button.
- Now, you need to tap the Other SMTP Servers option. When you tap on Add Server, you will once again see the Use SSL option. If the button next to it is ON (green), turn it OFF (white).
- From now onwards, your emails will not be protected by SSL.
We have now seen the steps involved in disabling SSL for your Mail app email account on your iPhone.