How to Set Up Gmail in Microsoft Outlook?
In case you have multiple email accounts configured to your Gmail, handling all your emails might be difficult with the Gmail platform. Instead, if you set up your Gmail account with Microsoft Outlook, you can easily handle your messages from several accounts.
- In Gmail, organizing and managing your emails will be a bit complicated, but Outlook offers a range of easy-to-use features.
- It will be difficult to manage multiple email accounts with Gmail. When you configure Gmail in MS Outlook, you can conveniently manage your accounts without hassles.
- With Gmail, you will not be able to work in offline mode, while email clients like Outlook can be used even while offline, except, you cannot receive or send emails.
Before you start setting up Gmail on MS Outlook, you have to ensure that IMAP/POP is enabled in your Gmail account. To do the same, make use of the steps given here:
- First, log into your Gmail account. Next, go to the upper-right corner of the page and then click the Gear icon. From the options displayed, select Settings.
- Choose the Forwarding POP/IMAP option to open POP/IMAP settings.
- Now, click the Enable IMAP option and then click on the Save Changes button.
You can set up Gmail in Outlook by enabling POP too.
Once you have enabled IMAP, you can start setting up Gmail in Outlook. Please follow the instructions given here to do the same:
- First, open Outlook and go to the File tab. Next, in the Info section, click the Add Account button. You can easily find it above Account Settings.
- In the Add Account wizard that opens up, click the radio button next to the Manual setup or additional server types option. Then, click the Next button.
- In the same Add Account wizard, you will now see some options getting displayed.
- From these options, click the radio button next to the POP or IMAP option. Click the Next button.
- Now, you can add information like the ones given below, to the IMAP account:
- Your Host Server information
- For your Account type, you can select POP or IMAP. Users recommend using IMAP.
- For the Incoming mail server field, type imap.gmail.com
- For the Outgoing mail server field, type smtp.gmail.com
- Your Gmail id and password
- Incoming server (IMAP): Enter 993 for SSL or TLS encryption, or 143 for a non-encrypted server port.
- For the Outgoing server (SMTP) field, enter 465 or 587 for encryption or 25 for port without encryption.
- For the outgoing server encrypted connection, enter SSL/TLS.
We have now seen the steps involved in setting up Gmail in Microsoft Outlook.